What we love…
Bayview takes its name from a description of its location, providing a “view” across “Pittwater”. Governor Arthur Phillip took a short journey of exploration from Manly to this area in March 1788 and named it Pitt Water after William Pitt, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom at the time. Captain John Hunter prepared a map showing the bays and inlets in 1792.
One of the first settlers was Patrick Bryan, who built a house in 1821 on the current site of the Bayview Golf Links.
A number of tetrahedron tank traps can be found off Pittwater Road on the water side in Bayview. These tank traps are a little-known remnant of WWII defence along Sydney’s Northern Beaches.